The earliest discussion of the chakras,
or energy centers,
in the body was found in the
, a Hindu large body of texts originating in ancient India (1700 BCE- 1100 BCE). ‘
comes from the Sanskrit, meaning ‘wheels of light.'
Our energy levels affect our everyday lives. Lack of energy, or blocked energy, can lead to stress, the feeling of illness, and actual illness. Being in touch with your 7 key chakras or energy centers is important to keep positive energy flowing through your body, and to maintain and improve one’s health.
The Root Chakra
- Located at the base of the spine, the first chakra represents our foundation and connection with our bodies, the surrounding environment, and the Earth. It is the chakra that initiates our fight or flight response.
The Sacral Chakra
- The second chakra is more focused on pleasure and enjoyment. It is located 2 inches below the navel in the lower abdomen. It is considered the center for feeling and emotion.
Solar Plexus Chakra
- The third chakra is all about the individual. Located in the upper abdomen in the stomach area, the Solar Plexus Chakra is the center of our personality, identity, and ego. It effects our ability to be confident and in control of our lives.
- Located in the center of the chest, right above the heart, the Heart Chakra deals with our ability to love. This chakra deals with the love one has for other people, but also with the love of oneself as well as one’s inner peace.
- The fifth chakra deals with one’s voice and communication. The Throat Chakra is not just focused on speaking to others, but also on self-expression and genuine expression of one’s truth. Accepting our uniqueness and what is true can help remove troublesome doubt and negativity from our lives. It is located in the throat.
Third Eye Chakra
- Also called the “Brow Chakra”, the sixth chakra allows us to see more than what is in front of us physically. It calls to our imagination and inner vision to help us focus on what matters most to us. Located on the forehead, right above the nose, the Third Eye Chakra allows us to see the deeper meanings of life’s experiences.
The Crown Chakra
- Located at the top of the head, the seventh chakra is at the top of the chakra chain. It represents our ability to be fully connected spiritually. It helps us realize that everything is connected spiritually at a selfless level. We develop an understanding of both inner and outer beauty as well as a pure connection with our own spirituality.
Although very basic, this list of the 7 chakras can help you ultimately come to peace with all the aspects in your own life. This peace will create positive energies flowing throughout the body with fewer energy blocks, allowing you to feel better physically, mentally, spiritually and emotionally. There are many other minor chakras that affect our bodies, but these are the main 7 that connect us with ourselves, the world around us, and other people.
Check back in for more about each chakra!