Like a stream that no longer moves, energy can become stagnant and polluted. This is not good for health.
Many complementary practitioners believe that it is a healthy practice to invite a strong current of "life-force" or "chi" to move through the body since any depleted, stuck or blocked energy cab manifest in symptoms of illness such as depression, back pain, cancer or anxiety.
Unfortunately we now live in an inherently unhealthy environment. The air is not pure, the water is not clean, and our cleaning products, cosmetics and food are largely contaminated. These contaminants stress the body's ability to function at optimum capacity. None of us can escape this planetary health crisis, but we can make healthy choices whenever possible.
Here are some things you can do to maintain a healthier lifestyle taken from my book
- Do simple stretching when you get up in the morning
- Walk every day. Include some brisk walking
- Join a yoga or tai chi class. Or choose some form of aerobic exercise
- Drink 6-8 + glasses of water a day
- Cut back on sugar and processes food. Instead, try to go organic
- Read labels of food, cosmetic and household products for synthetic and artificial ingredients, and genetically modified foods. Buy accordingly
- Become aware of the vitamin and mineral supplements your body needs. To be safe, consult a doctor
Trying these things can lead to a healthier lifestyle which can dramatically improve your happiness as a whole. Remember, activities that keep your energy flowing are good for you.
Written by Altimont Parker, SUNY New Paltz Intern for Roots & Wings